Is flooding covered by home insurance in Birmingham?

A common question about Alabama home insurance is this: does home insurance cover flooding? For example, what if it rains really hard and causes water to accumulate? What if the water invades your home? Unfortunately, the answer to that question is no. Home insurance does not cover flooding. Many homeowners find this out after they’ve had a flooding incident, and by then it’s too late to do anything. So, how can you protect yourself financially before you experience a flood? You can get flood insurance. We’ll explain many of the questions you may have about Alabama flood insurance.

What is flood insurance?

Basically, it’s a policy you can purchase that protects you from losses relating to flood damage.

What does flood insurance cover?

Flood insurance can provide coverage both for the structure of your home and your belongings, so you wouldn’t be left to shoulder the burden of repairing your home or replacing your property. However, you have to make sure that you purchase coverage for your belongings as well as coverage for the structure of the home itself.

Now. An important thing to note is that not all water damage is considered “flooding.” In insurance-speak, “flooding” means that two acres that are usually dry have been covered with water or that two homes (one of them being yours) have been affected by either tidal or inland waters (or rapid and unusual accumulation.) So, your definition of “flooding” might be different than the insurance company’s.

Where can I get flood insurance in Alabama?

To get flood insurance in Alabama, you can go through the National Flood Insurance Program. You can’t purchase it directly from the NFIP, so you need an agent. (And that’s where we can help, by the way – we can help you get home insurance or flood insurance. Just fill out our online form or give us a call today.)

Your community also has to participate in the NFIP. Find out if your community participates by talking to your agent.

Get great home insurance coverage at a great rate.

Can I get flood insurance if I’m not in a high-risk flooding area?

Yes, you can. Flash floods are common occurrences, and even homes that aren’t considered to be “at risk” of flooding on a normal basis could be affected. Floods are a very common weather-related disaster in the country…and the damage from just one inch of water can add up to quite a lot.

Can I get flood insurance if I rent my home?

If you rent your house, you can still purchase flood insurance for your personal belongings. The landlord or owner of the house has to purchase coverage for the structure itself – that’s their prerogative.

When should I buy flood insurance?

Well, ideally far in advance of any flood-related incident. Flood policies typically become effective 30 days after you buy them. The exception is if you have to get flood insurance because a lender is requiring it for you to get a loan, increase a loan, or renew or extend an existing loan.

Save money on home insurance with multiple home insurance quotes.

So, those are some common questions people have about flood insurance. Since flooding is not covered by home insurance, you would have to purchase a flood policy to protect yourself against flooding. If you’re interested in getting a home insurance quote or a flood insurance quote, we can help. Our agents can shop your rates and help you save money on home insurance. We can even help you with bundling your home and auto insurance. All you have to do to get started with quotes is fill out our online form or give us a call today.

Source: FEMA

Leave a Comment